- Community Resources
- Calvert Alliance Against Substance Abuse
- Neighborhood Crime Watch Program
Neighborhood Crime Watch Program
Calvert County Neighborhood Watch Program
The Calvert County Neighborhood Watch Program is sponsored by the Calvert Alliance Against Substance Abuse, Inc. (CAASA), Calvert County Sheriff’s Office and Maryland State Police, Barrack "U". Meetings are led by Detective Greg Cameron (CCSO) and D/Sgt. Kemery Hunt, MSP, Barrack "U".
Meetings are held at the Harriet E. Brown Community Center, 901 Dares Beach Road, Prince Frederick, and begin at 6:30 pm.
2023 Meeting dates:
January 9, 2023
March 13, 2023
May 8, 2023
July 10, 2023
September 11, 2023
November 13, 2023
The group meets to:
- share information and concern relating to the safety of their community with other communities and law enforcement personnel
- seek guidance on how to handle specific problems and situations within their community, and
- stay up to date on recent trends in criminal activity.
In an effort to keep our community members informed, current crime trends will be outlined below after each meeting. In addition, the Calvert County Neighborhood Watch Program has a Facebook page.
Current Crime Trends
- ONGOING - Thefts from vehicles, sheds and barns continue to be a problem in the county. Keep your vehicles, out buildings and homes locked at all times.
- January 2023
- Fraud cases continue to be an issue.
- Calvert had three homicides last year and all were solved.
- Crime data indicates that rape/sexual assault cases were down 54% last year.
- Checks continue to be stolen as reported in November 2022. Residents are encouraged to pay their bills in-person or online as much as possible.
- Sheriff Cox and Lt. Col. Dave Payne shared that the "text alert" system is coming back to the county. In addition, Sheriff Cox is requesting funding to install a license plate reader at the Thomas Johnson Bridge to assist with apprehending those who commit crimes in sounding counties and exit through Calvert County. He also shared that he is requesting addition School Resources Officers for CCPS.
- November 2022
- Maryland State Police, Barrack "U' shared information on the "Check Washing" scam. Calvert has seen a number of these cases where a resident or local business had checks stolen, "washed" (information removed) and then re-issued in a different amount. Law enforcement is encouraging residents to limit mailing checks. If possible pay online or visit the vendor location to pay in-person. TO learn more about "check washing" visit https://www.uspis.gov/news/scam-article/check-washing
- Maryland State Police, Barrack "U" informed members about fliers advertising GEEK SQUAD services but the contact information is fraudulent. The scam has residents thinking they are purchasing services from a reputable company, they share information and purchase services only to find out it's a scam. In this case, the victim is turning over their computer and information is stolen.
- Catalytic converters continue to be stolen from vehicles. Be alert and report any suspicious activity.
- March 2022
- Maryland State Police, Barrack "U" shared information about a meat selling scam in the county. A company is approaching residents selling meat and asking for payment in cash or check. Once the purchase is made, the purchaser does not receive the product. There's been one case in Calvert so far this year. MSP is working the case to see if there are other victims.
- Calvert County Sheriff's Office reminds everyone to be aware of IRS scams. In addition, law enforcement reminded everyone that prom and graduation season will be here soon and celebrations/parties will be happening. If residents should see or know of an underage drinking party, please report it to law enforcement. The goal is to keep our youth safe and out of harms way.
REPORT ANY SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY IMMEDIATELY TO LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT.
Neighborhood Watch Meeting handouts
- Calvert County State's Attorney's Office
- Calvert Crisis Response
- Community Mediation Center of Calvert Brochure
- Community Mediation Center of Calvert PEACE Order info cardC /DocumentCenter/View/37223
- April 22, 2023 - Drug Take Back Day
10 am to 2 pm
Southern Community Center, Lusby
Northeast Community Center, Chesapeake Beach
- August 1, 2023 - National Night Out